2023 Scholarship Information Bulletin
Lakeview Light & Power has been lighting the way forward since 1922. From small beginnings we have evolved into a modern energy partner that leverages state of the art technology and service to help our members and customers live brighter lives.
As a community partner, we support and recognize people and organizations that are committed to lighting the spark for positive growth and change. So, it is in this spirit that we introduce the “Be the Spark Scholarship!”
Here’s How It Works:
Submit the following documents to the offices of Lakeview Light & Power before 5:30 PM on February 16, 2023.
- The application form – Scholarship applications are available online at lakeviewlight.com
- A certified copy of your academic transcript or two letters of recommendation as outlined in the Eligibility and Application Requirements section of this Bulletin.
- A 500-word essay, or a 2-minute video that answers the following question:
How do you use your energy, skills or talents to serve or empower your community?
In addition to empowering customers with the tools and technology to use energy wisely, Lakeview Light & Power uses our power to transform the lives of others. We’re committed to the communities we serve and their well-being, which is why we partner with the Emergency Food Network, LASA-Lakewood Homeless Prevention and other nonprofit organizations that serve the greater good in our community. We created this scholarship to reward likeminded students who shine a light for others.
If you choose to do a video presentation, please provide us with the link to your YouTube video on the application. Please do not send us the video file.
- A typed summary of the school and/or community organizations that you contribute your time to.
What are the details of the Scholarship Award?
- The Board of Directors of Lakeview Light & Power established the scholarship award program to assist members, customers, and their dependent children with funding for continuing education.
- This year the Corporation will award three $2,000.00 scholarships.
- The scholarships will be applied to tuition, fees, books, and supplies for coursework at accredited colleges, universities, technical colleges and trade schools.
- The Scholarship Committee is composed of three Directors, appointed by the President of the Corporation to select scholarship award recipients based on the strength of their applications, and their desire to succeed.
- Scholarship applicants will be notified on or before March 16, 2023 as to whether or not they have received a scholarship award.
Eligibility and Application Requirements:
- You must be a Lakeview Light and Power member, customer or dependent child of a Lakeview Light and Power member or customer in order to apply. (Employees of Lakeview Light and Power, their dependents, members of the Board of Directors and their dependents are ineligible to apply.)
- You must be a graduating high school senior, high school graduate, college freshman, college sophomore, college junior, technical or trade school student, or a non-traditional/returning student desirous of completing your education in order to apply.
- Applicants have the option of submitting a certified copy of their academic transcripts through the period immediately preceding the scholarship application due date, or submitting two letters of recommendation from teachers, coaches, employers, or others who have direct personal knowledge of their accomplishments and their commitment to completing their education.
- You must be accepted for enrollment, or enrolled at an accredited college, university, technical or trade school for the 2023-2024 school year.
- You must submit your completed application form, your transcript/s or two letters of recommendation, your essay or video link, and community engagement record by the application due date of February 16, 2023..
- If awarded the scholarship, you must agree to receive your scholarship award certificate at the Annual Meeting of Lakeview Light & Power on April 27, 2023. You must also give your permission to have your name, and photograph published in Lakeview Light and Power’s corporate publication and on their website.
Rules Governing Disbursement of Scholarship Funds
- Scholarships are awarded for the 2023-2024 academic year only.
- Scholarships are not renewable, but students may reapply each year as long as they meet the eligibility criteria.
- Scholarships are paid directly to the scholarship recipient’s college, university technical college or trade school upon receipt of documentation that shows the scholarship recipient has been accepted as a full-time or part-time student.
- Scholarships pay for tuition and fees first. If funds remain after tuition and fees are paid in full, the Scholarship Committee will review requests for disbursement of funds for books and supplies. If approved, the Scholarship Committee will coordinate payment for these items until such time as the scholarship funds are exhausted.
- If the scholarship recipient decides not to continue his or her education, the scholarship funds will be retained by Lakeview Light & Power. Scholarship funds disbursed to a college, university, technical college or trade school will be refunded to Lakeview Light & Power, not to the student.
Other Scholarship Opportunities
In addition to Lakeview Light and Power’s “Be the Spark Scholarship,” LLP also funds a $2,000.00 scholarship through Clover Park Technical College for currently enrolled students. Application and selection for this scholarship is through CPTC. Please visit the school’s website for details: http://www.cptc.edu/foundation/scholarships